Nook Micro SD Memory Card
Best Memory Cards for Nook & Nook Color
Hey guys! It’s me again. Today I am going to solve the problem for all of you who are confused as to what Nook Memory Card you should get. In this post, you will essentially find out everything you need to know as it relates to the different types of memory cards that can be used inside the Nook.
For those of you who you know what you want would like to get the cheap prices, then, click here.
Nook Color and Regular Nook Memory Card Types
- Micro SD – This memory card format can hold up to 4GB of eBooks, images, music and video.
- Micro SDHC – This memory card that can hold up to 32GB of eBooks, images, music and video.
- Micro SD – This memory card format can hold up to 4GB of eBooks, images and music.
- Micro SDHC – This memory card that can hold up to 16GB of eBooks, images and music.
Some people get confused as it relates to Micro SD and Micro SDHC formats. These cards are essentially the same; the main difference is the size capacity.
Micro SD cards can hold up to 4GB worth of music, images, video, eBooks and pictures.
Micro SDHC cards can hold up to 32GB worth of music, video, eBooks and pictures.
Other Vital Memory Card Information
All memory cards have a Speed Class Rating. This speed rating essentially determines how fast data can be written to the card. The speed classes for MicroSD and MicroSDHC cards are 2, 4, 6 and 10.
- Class 2 – Minimum of 2 MB/s performance. (Slowest)
- Class 4 – Minimum of 4 MB/s performance. (Average)
- Class 6 – Minimum of 6 MB/s performance. (Above Average)
- Class 10 – Minimum of 10 MB/s performance. (Fastest)
When thinking of getting your Nook Memory Card, I would recommend a card with a speed rating of Class 6. Even though people may not experience any problems with Class 2 or 4 in the Nook, if you plan on using the memory card in another device (like a camera), you may regret not spending the extra money and getting a faster card.
Do I Need a Memory Card for My Nook?
The Nook comes with 2GB Built in memory and the Nook Color comes with 8GB Built in memory. If you will be adding other data files such as music, videos or pictures, then it is a MUST that you get a memory card. You would be surprised to see how quickly the internal memory fills up once you start using your device on a daily basis.
What Size Memory Card Do You Recommend for the Nook?
The size memory card is really up to you. MicroSD and SDHC cards are available in 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB and 32GB sizes. I always tell people that if you can afford the bigger card sizes go for it. These cards can be used in a wide variety of devices and you never know when you might need the extra space.
How Much Music, Video and Pics Can be Stored on the Nook Memory Card?
OK, now that you have an idea of the types of memory cards for the Nook, I know wanted to give you an idea of how much data these cards can hold.
**Just for comparison purposes, I used an average file size for the different data formats. These cards could hold more or less as file sizes will vary. This table is just to show you how much each card can hold.
|MP3’s||Videos (Nook Color)||Images||eBooks|
If you want to know more in regards to the amount of data that can hold on the cards, check out the Nook Color’s Feature List.
Best Micro SD Memory Card for the Nook
Below I am going to list my best memory card picks for both the Nook Color and Nook. Since the Nook can take a maximum of 16GB MicroSDHC and the Nook Color can take the 32GB MicroSDHC, I will list my best choice for each device.
- The best memory card for the Nook Color is due to performance as well as storage capacity. The 32GB Sandisk MicroSDHC is the memory card that is a must for any Nook Color. The reason why we say it is a must have is that it is able to deliver extraordinary storage space, which means you can maximize the way in which you use the e-book reader. You can copy your whole music collection to the card plus more. This 32GB model is definitely a good buy.
- The 16GB Sandisk MicroSDHC Memory Card is also a pretty nice choice for the Nook Color. SanDisk memory cards have a reputation for being a quality product and being able to deliver outstanding performance. What I love about this card is that it is not overly pricey and it is one of the better memory choices as it relates to price.
- My memory card choice for the Nook is the 16GB Transcend MicroSDHC Card. The Nook can only take 16GB cards, so this gem from Transcend is all that you need. 16GB is a lot of storage space and you should be able to hold all your e-books, music and pictures with no problem. The reason why I love this card so much is that it does not cost much and the amount of storage it is excellent. You are certainly getting value for your money with this card.
- Another good option for the Nook is the 8GB Kingston MicroSDHC. This card is considered to be small compared to the 16GB cards, however it is able to deliver more than enough storage space to be used on this e-book reader. If you are looking for an even cheaper option for the Nook, then the 8GB is definitely it.
Some of the older card readers may not be able to read Micro SDHC memory cards. Before you purchase the card, ensure that your computer has the ability to read the high capacity cards. If you have an older machine and it does not have the ability to read the Micro SDHC cards, then your best bet is to purchase a cheap card reader.