1 terabyte is a lot of storage and if you have a killer music collection, some of you might really be wondering how much songs it can actually hold. Well, the answer is pretty simple and I am going to highlight the storage capacity of 1 TB known below.
Before I start, I have to explain that all the information that I’m going to present to below is based on estimates. You should know that 1 TB can actually hold a lot more/less songs, it really depends on many different factors.
How Many Songs Can Fit on 1TB?
To get the information that we need, we are just going to do a bit of math, which should give us some pretty straightforward results.
- The 1st thing you should know is that the size of an MP3 really depends on many different factors. So, the size could be affected by the length of the song, the bit rate it was encoded in, along with other factors.
- For this guide, we are just going to say that the average MP3 size is around 4 to 5 MB.
- To make the calculations easier, 1,000,000 MB is more or less equal to 1 TB (more or less)
- 1 TB = 1,000,000 MB
- 1,000,000 MB divided by 4 MB =250,000 mp3 songs
- 1,000,000 MB divided by 5 MB = 200,000 mp3 songs.
Below is a little chart showing you how much songs the storage space should hold, dependent on the MP3 average file size.
|# of MP3’s
So as you can see, 1 TB of memory should be able to hold around 140,000 – 250,000 songs.
As you can see, it is a lot of MP3s, but you need to remember that this is all based off estimates. I will repeat that 1 TB can hold more or less data and the table above really gives you a ballpark figure.
Well now that we have the music out of the way, we could also look at how many albums can be stored on 1 terabyte. Since we have some of the information already, it is going to be simple to work out the album storage.
- An album is about 12-16 songs on average
- We will then say that an average album will have 14 tracks
- Using the MP3 size of 4 MB, 250,000/14 = 17,857 albums
- Using the MP3 size of 5 MB, 200,000/14 = 14,286 albums
|# of Albums
So now you have an idea of how much music and albums can hold on 1TB. It is a lot of storage, so this collection should be crazy.