Best Memory Cards for the Canon Powershot A1200
If you are confused as to what type of memory card to work in the Canon Powershot A1200, or you are just looking to get amazing deals on these cards, then you would have ended up on the right webpage. This is the ultimate page to explain everything as it relates to memory cards for this camera.
For those of you who you who want to save money and already know what card you want and would like, then Click Here for Low Prices.
Canon Powershot A1200 Memory Card Types
- SD Cards – This memory card format can hold up to 4GB of images and video.
- SDHC Cards – This memory card format can hold up to 32GB of images and video.
- SDXC Cards – This memory card format can upwards of 48GB of images and video.
- Micro SD (With SD Adapter) – This memory card format can hold up to 4GB of images and video.
- Micro SDHC (With SD Adapter) – This memory card that can hold up to 32GB of images and video.
We get a lot of different questions on the blog, but it seems that people always want to know the differences between SD, SDHC and SDXC formats. These cards are essentially the same thing, as they are the same size and they also have the same physical attributes. The main difference between them is how much data they can hold.
SD cards can hold up to 4GB worth of pictures and video.
SDHC cards can hold up to 32GB worth of pictures and video.
SDXC cards can hold 48GB – 2TB worth of pictures and video.
Other Vital Memory Card Information
For those of you who are thinking about getting memory card for the A1200, you should realize that aside from storage space, memory cards also come with different speed ratings. These speed ratings found on the memory cards are there to show the speed at which data can be read or written directly to the card. SD and SDHC cards have speed ratings of 2, 4, 6 and 10. SDXC cards speed ratings go from Class 4, 6 and 10. SDXC cards also have another speed rating known as Ultra High Speed (UHS)
- Class 2 – Minimum of 2 MB/s performance. (Slowest)
- Class 4 – Minimum of 4 MB/s performance. (Average)
- Class 6 – Minimum of 6 MB/s performance. (Above Average)
- Class 10 – Minimum of 10 MB/s performance. (Fastest)
- UHS-1 (SDXC CARDS) – Speeds up to 104 MB/s.
If you want all recommendation for the best speed memory card for the Canon A1200, I would have to say get a Class 10. Class 10 is pretty fast and it will operate perfectly in the camera. What I love about the Class 10 is that the price has dropped drastically (see below), so you can get a high performing memory card for an inexpensive price.
What Size Canon A1200 SD/SDHC/SDXC Card Should I Get?
The SD, SDHC and SDXC are memory card options that will work for the A1200. SD Cards come in sizes from 1GB, 2GB and 4GB. SDHC cards are available in 8GB, 16GB and 32GB sizes. SDXC cards come in 48GB, 64GB and 128GB sizes.
If you want our opinion on the best memory card for the Powershot A1200, then I think it is a good idea to go with one of the higher capacity cards. 16GB and 32GB SDHC cards are ideal as they deliver the necessary storage space and they are not very expensive. 48GB and 64GB SDXC cards are also nice to use, especially if you are going to be taking a lot of high quality pictures and videos. These cards are on the expensive side.
How Much Data Can Hold on a Canon A1200 Memory Card?
Now that you have a clearer picture as to the different types of cards that can be used in the Canon Powershot A1200, it is now time for me to show you the amount of data these memory cards can store.
**The data that we use in the table below was based off ESTIMATES in the real world. The memory cards will be able to hold more or less video and pictures, it really depends on a variety of factors, such as cameras settings. The table is there just to give a visual of as it relates to the storage capacity of these cards.
|Images||Raw||Video: 640X480||Video: 1280X720|
|4GB||1,946||268||43 min||25 min|
|8GB||3,892||536||1 hr 26 min||50 min|
|16GB||7,784||1072||2 hr 52 min||1hr 40 min|
|32GB||15,568||2144||5 hr 42 min||3 hr 20 min|
|48GB||23,352||3216||8 hr 32 min||5 hr|
|64GB||31,136||4288||11 hr 22 min||6 hr 40 min|
Best Memory Card for the Canon Powershot A1200
Below are my best memory card picks for the Canon Powershot A1200.
- One of the best memory cards on the market today for the Canon A1200 is the Transcend 32GB SDHC Card. If you want storage space, then this memory card will be able to deliver all the space that you need. It is also extremely fast (Class 10). For a card that has the combination of storage space and speed, it is also surprising that it is so cheap. This is a good quality card and I am positive that you will be satisfied with using this card in your camera.
- If you are looking for a cheaper memory card option for your A1200, then the 16GB Transcend SDHC Class10 is a good option. This card offers great performance, speed and is pretty cheap. Having a card this size, you will be able to record and take all the videos and pictures you want. No longer will you have to worry about filling your memory card up. This is good value for your money!
If you have a A1200 and want a SDHC or SDXC card, then you need to be sure that your computer/laptop will be able to recognize the card. Many of the older computers come with SD card readers and because of this; they won’t be able to read none of the newer formats. If you are looking for a SDHC/SDXC card reader, then you can always get a cheap one. If you are looking for a Card Reader, Get One Here.