Best Memory Cards for Canon Powershot S90
Looking for memory for the Canon Powershot S90, then you are definitely in the right place. Low prices, great deals and in-depth information can all be found here. Everything you ever wanted to know about the memory cards used in this camera is on this page.
CLICK HERE if you already know the type of memory card you want and would like to get low prices and outrageous deals.
Canon Powershot S90 Memory Card Types
You should be aware that the Canon Powershot S90 will be able to take different memory card formats.
- SD Cards – This memory card format can hold up to 4GB of images and video.
- SDHC Cards – This memory card format can hold up to 32GB of images and video.
- Micro SD (With SD Adapter) – This memory card format can hold up to 4GB of images and video.
- Micro SDHC (With SD Adapter) – This memory card that can hold up to 32GB of images and video.
People always seem to be confused when it comes to the Differences between SD, SDHC and SDXC . The stats are essentially the same thing, as they have the exact shape, size and physical dimensions. The main thing that makes them different from each other is that they all have different maximum storage capacities.
SD cards can hold up to 4GB worth of pictures and video.
SDHC cards can hold up to 32GB worth of pictures and video.
Other Vital Memory Card Information
We are well aware that memory cards come in different storage sizes. These cards also have different speeds. The speed ratings of the memory cards are there to show how quickly data can be written to the card. SD and SDHC cards have speed ratings in different classes, ranging from Class 2, 4, 6 and 10.
- Class 2 – Minimum of 2 MB/s performance. (Slowest)
- Class 4 – Minimum of 4 MB/s performance. (Average)
- Class 6 – Minimum of 6 MB/s performance. (Above Average)
- Class 10 – Minimum of 10 MB/s performance. (Fastest)
Any speed memory card will work perfectly in the Canon Powershot S90. If you want or recommendation, it is a good idea to go with a faster SP/SDHC cards, as it can be a pain in the neck to use the slower cards. Taking high resolution pictures or copy data can take forever with the slow cards and most of the time it is not worth the hassle.
For more detailed info on memory card speeds, check out sdcard.org.
What Size Canon S90 SD/SDHC Card Should I Get?
SD and SDHC memory cards are available for the S90, but before you go all to and purchase one, you need to be aware of how much you will need. SD Cards come in sizes from 1GB, 2GB and 4GB. SDHC cards are available in 8GB, 16GB and 32GB sizes.
Our recommendation for the best memory card for the Powershot S90 would have to be the high capacity cards, in the 16GB and 32GB range. It is best to have these big storage cards, simply because you don’t have to worry about them filling up quickly. The S90 has the ability to take high quality pictures and this can take up a lot of space, so smaller cards really make no sense.
How Much Data Can Hold on a Canon Powershot S90 Memory Card?
Now that you know about the different memory cards ,it’s now time to find out how much data can actually hold on the different memory card sizes.
**I used ESTIMATES to give an idea as to how much data can really be stored on the different memory cards. The memory cards will be able to hold more images or video, depending on a variety of factors, one of which is the Camera settings.
|Images||Raw||Video: 640X480||Video: 1280X720|
|4GB||1,946||268||43 min||25 min|
|8GB||3,892||536||1 hr 26 min||50 min|
|16GB||7,784||1072||2 hr 52 min||1hr 40 min|
|32GB||15,568||2144||5 hr 42 min||3 hr 20 min|
|48GB||23,352||3216||8 hr 32 min||5 hr|
|64GB||31,136||4288||11 hr 22 min||6 hr 40 min|
If you want to find out about the camera settings and how much data the various cards will hold, check out the Canon S90 Specification Sheet.
Best Memory Card for the Canon Powershot S90
Below are my best memory card picks for the Canon Powershot S90.
- If you are looking at getting a memory card for the Canon Powershot S90, my choice would have to be the Transcend 32GB Class 10 SDHC Card. This card is amazing, simply because it is the total package. You are essentially able to get 32 gigs of storage space and also a card that has a Class 10 speed. What is even more amazing is the fact that this card is not overly expensive. You are getting speed, size and performance all in one package, at a really low price! There is no doubt that this is the best memory card option for the S90.
- Another really good option for the Canon S90 is the 16GB Transcend SDHC Card. This card has ½ the storage space of the 32GB, however it is still a lot space to store all your pictures and video. The card is also a Class 10, which makes it one of the fastest memory cards on the market today. This card is pretty inexpensive and this is another feature that makes it a must have. The quality of Transcend memory cards is top-notch and that is why I am such a big fan.
If you’ve purchased a SDHC memory card, then you need to be sure that your laptop/computer will be able to read it. Many of the older computer devices have SD card readers and as a result of that, they will not be able to read the new SDHC format. If you are looking for a SDHC card reader, you can always get one that does not cost a lot of money. If you are looking for one, you can GET ONE HERE.