Best Memory Cards for Canon Powershot ELPH 500 HS
STOP! If you are looking for great deals, low prices or info on the Canon Powershot ELPH 500 HS Memory Cards, then you have ended up on the right webpage. All you ever wanted to know about memory cards can be found on this page.
CLICK HERE and Save if you already know what type of memory card you will need for your camera and just want to save money.
Canon Powershot ELPH 500 HS Memory Card Types
The Canon Powershot ELPH 500 HS will be able to use a variety of memory cards. I am going to explain the differences between the different ones that can be used in the camera.
- SD Cards – This memory card format can hold up to 4GB of images and video.
- SDHC Cards – This memory card format can hold up to 32GB of images and video.
- SDXC Cards – This memory card format can upwards of 48GB of images and video.
- Micro SD (With SD Adapter) – This memory card format can hold up to 4GB of images and video.
- Micro SDHC (With SD Adapter) – This memory card that can hold up to 32GB of images and video.
When it comes to SD vs SDHC vs SDXC , it seems as if a lot of people are confused. To clear things up, these 3 cards are really the same thing. They have the same size and shape, what really differentiates them is that they all have different maximum storage spaces.
SD cards can hold up to 4GB worth of pictures and video.
SDHC cards can hold up to 32GB worth of pictures and video.
SDXC cards can hold 48GB – 2TB worth of pictures and video.
Other Vital Memory Card Information
The Canon Powershot ELPH 500 HS can take different sized memory cards, but these cards also come in different speeds. The Speed Ratings of these cards are there to show how quickly data can be read/written to the card. SD and SDHC cards have speed ratings of 2, 4, 6 and 10. SDXC cards speed ratings go from Class 4, 6 and 10. SDXC cards also have another speed rating known as Ultra High Speed (UHS)
- Class 2 – Minimum of 2 MB/s performance. (Slowest)
- Class 4 – Minimum of 4 MB/s performance. (Average)
- Class 6 – Minimum of 6 MB/s performance. (Above Average)
- Class 10 – Minimum of 10 MB/s performance. (Fastest)
- UHS-1 (SDXC CARDS) – Speeds up to 104 MB/s.
You can use any speed card in the Canon PowerShot ELPH 500 HS. It you want to take our advice, go for a Class 4, 6 or 10. These cards are able to provide the performance that you need, especially if you plan on taking a lot of high quality images. The camera will slow down when saving to a slow memory card, so it is not even worth the hassle.
For more detailed info on memory card speeds, check out sdcard.org.
What Size Canon ELPH 500 HS SD/SDHC/SDXC Card Should I Get?
SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards are available for the 500HS. If you are thinking about getting one of these cards, you need to have an idea of how much space you are going to need. SD Cards come in sizes from 1GB, 2GB and 4GB. SDHC cards are available in 8GB, 16GB and 32GB sizes. SDXC cards come in 48GB, 64GB and 128GB sizes.
If you want to take our advice as to what size card you will need, I really think it would work out best if you got one of the high capacity storage cards. 16 and 32GB SDHC cards are perfect and they are able to provide you with all the storage space you will need. If you happen to have extra money, you can go ahead and get a 48 or 64GB SDXC. All of these cards will be able to store tons of pictures and videos, even if they are taken on the optimal settings of the camera.
How Much Data Can Hold on a Canon ELPH 500 HS Memory Card?
For those of you who would like to know how much pictures and videos can be stored on the memory cards for the Canon Powershot ELPH 500 HS, then have a look at the table below.
**I created the table to visualize whole much data can actually be stored on the various sized memory cards. The numbers that are used for the data in the table were ESTIMATED. Because of the estimates, the memory cards will be able to hold more or less pictures or videos, as it depends on different factors.
|Images||Raw||Video: 640X480||Video: 1280X720|
|4GB||1,946||268||43 min||25 min|
|8GB||3,892||536||1 hr 26 min||50 min|
|16GB||7,784||1072||2 hr 52 min||1hr 40 min|
|32GB||15,568||2144||5 hr 42 min||3 hr 20 min|
|48GB||23,352||3216||8 hr 32 min||5 hr|
|64GB||31,136||4288||11 hr 22 min||6 hr 40 min|
If you want to find out about the camera settings and how much data the various cards will hold, check out the Canon ELPH 500 HS Specification Sheet.
Best Memory Card for the Canon Powershot ELPH 500 HS
Below are my best memory card picks for the Canon Powershot ELPH 500 HS.
- If you are looking at getting a memory card for the Canon Powershot ELPH 500 HS, my choice would have to be the Transcend 32GB Class 10 SDHC Card. This card is amazing, simply because it is the total package. You are essentially able to get 32 gigs of storage space and also a card that has a Class 10 speed. What is even more amazing is the fact that this card is not overly expensive. You are getting speed, size and performance all in one package, at a really low price! There is no doubt that this is the best memory card option for the 500 HS.
- Another really good option for the Canon S90 is the 16GB Transcend SDHC Card. This card has ½ the storage space of the 32GB, however it is still a lot space to store all your pictures and video. The card is also a Class 10, which makes it one of the fastest memory cards on the market today. This card is pretty inexpensive and this is another feature that makes it a must have. The quality of Transcend memory cards is top-notch and that is why I am such a big fan.
If you have plans to purchase a SDHC card for the camera, then you need to check to make sure that the computer will be able to read this format. Many of the older computers came with SD readers and this old technology will not be able to recognize the newer memory card types. The solution to this problem is to purchase a SDHC card reader. They do not cost much and if you want one, you can GET ONE HERE.